SHORT HISTORY OF ALLIANCE OF SINDHI ASSOCIATIONS AMERICAS, INC.
The idea of Sindhi Sammelan was first conceived by Prem Lalvani in 1989 when he was the Executive Director of Alliance of Midwest India Associations, Dr. Kaloo Thadani was the treasurer. The active action was taken in 1989 at the time of Silver jubilee celebration of Sindhi Association of Chicago. At the time, the target for First International Sindhi Sammelan was 1992; however, the community was not ready for such huge undertaking.
Dr. Thadani retired in 1993 and worked full time for Alliance of Sindhi Associations of Americas and secured tax exempt non-profit organization status for the Alliance. When Chandru Bhojwani became president of Sindhi Association of Chicago, he responded positively to the idea of first Sindhi Sammelan. A meeting was held during Diwali function and delegates from Washington, D.C. came and the constitution was approved. Initially, four Sindhi associations who joined the Alliance were from New Jersey, Washington DC, Los Angles and San Francisco. At present, there are 21 Sindhi Associations from Canada, U.S.A., US Caribbean Islands, UK, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and India who are Associates of the Alliance.
The First Sindhi Sammelan was held at New Jersey, hosted by Sindhi Association of New Jersey. Dr. Kishin Kripalani was the convener. There were about 150 participants. The chief guest was Mr. R.J. Advani, and keynote speaker was Dr. Bhagwan Shahani. The sincere efforts of the host committee made the event a great success. Since the first Sammelan, Alliance has successfully held Sammelans in various parts of USA and the world including London, UK, Mumbai, India, Singapore, Barbados and in July 2010 it was the 17th International Sindhi Sammelan in Jakarta, Indonesia. The 18th International Sindhi Sammelan is scheduled to be hosted at Ahmedabad, India, in December 2011.
The Alliance’s goals and objectives are:
- Preserve Sindhi cultural heritage
- Promote our language, history, culture and literature
- Further education and learning of Sindhi language.
- Work towards making of a Global Sindhi Nation
- Globally integrate Sindhi community by creating networks.
- Discuss issues and potential solutions for the problems facing the community, e.g. inter-racial marriages, business, youth, women's role, seniors, etc.
- Making of and maintain unity among Sindhis
- Assist in making of Sindhi Senior Citizens Centers.
- Assist educating the underprivileged and job opportunities for Sindhis.
- Provide opportunities for eligible young adult Global Sindhis to meet and interact on matrimonial issues.
(NOTE: THOSE OF EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEMBERS WHO TOOK ACTIVE PART IN THE PROJECT OF ROMANIZED SINDHI ARE SHOWN AT THIS WEBSITE - "PIONEERS' PAGES - ACKNOWLEDGEMENT FOR VOLUNTEERS AND HELPERS")